Thursday, January 16, 2014

It is amazing that a New Year can offer you so much promise and the offering of a clean slate.  I felt so full of promise when the clock struck midnight on December 31st 2013.  Little did I know what 2014 would throw at us.  John's Dad's health started to decline.  He had been treated for leukemia since January of 2013.  We had high hopes that he would kick this disease.  He was treated in Iowa for 10 months until October of that year when the University of Iowa told him that they had done all they could do.  They gave him two months to live.  We were able to get him set up with MD Anderson and thought he had been improving  until an infection started to steal him away from us.  John and I both had a conversation with  him on Thursday the 6th January. At that time we both noted that he was confused.  We erroneously thought that his confusion was related to overmedication.  Unfortunately, we were wrong.  John flew out to be with his Dad early Monday morning.  The kids and I took the trip to Houston to see him and help out in any way.  At the end of the week, with no real change in his health, the kids and I drove back to to Louisville.  Unfortunately, early Monday morning, he passed away.  His passing has been a challenge.  John has been an amazing son and taking care of business as efficiently as is needed.  We will be heading to Iowa soon for the wake and the funeral.  In light of this tragedy, I am trying to see the silver lining.  I always knew I married a good guy, but seeing John's strength in light of these events has cemented my feelings for him.  We will forever miss Grandpa Packwood's visit's to Louisville for the kid's birthday's.  His ability to get "lost" on the way to Home Depot, his fascination with car's, his booming laugh and resounding voice, and his easy going personality will be missed.  But I am thankful that he passed on all his good to my husband.

No comments: