Thursday, August 19, 2010

First Day of Kindergarten


I'm sensing a theme here. I'm only good at posting once a year. So, not to set the bar too high, I'm shooting for at least once a year, so as not to disappoint all (2) of my loyal followers.


First day of Kindergarten for Jarrett was great. He did have a shocked expression on his face for most of the time we were there, but I caught a big, beautiful smile every now and then.


What I have not been prepared for is the 2nd and 3rd day (and we'll find out about the 4th tomorrow). The initial shock has worn off, only to be followed by tears and a hell of a death grip. Who can blame him? He walks into a room full of kids of all different ages, colors and genders and doesn't know a soul. I'd have a panic attack, too. As I skillfully disengage myself (ie, request that the CEP provider hold him while I make my quick escape), I question my skills, emotions as a parent. I was surprisingly not tearful. Oh, I had a moment of feeling bad, but knew deep down that at the end of the day he would say, "It was great, we had chocolate pudding and animal crackers!" (but couldn't remember what he did in class).


So, it's another chapter in his (and my/our) life. And I don't really feel sad about that either (yet). I feel a little sense of relief that we have come this far (without serious harm physically or emotionally) and look forward to what Kindergarten brings us.


Next Monday...preschool for Dawson

1 comment:

Christine said...

I cannot believe how big my little man is getting.

I would have been a big bucket of tears which wouldn't have been a help at all.

I can't wait to see him in all his school gear.